Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Karaoke Angels

This is a delicate subject because I don't want to come across as the creepy, older guy, a title I try hard to avoid.  Nevertheless, the phenomenon of karaoke angels in my work life is a worthy topic, and actually a very sweet one.

Before I became a karaoke DJ, or KJ, if you prefer, I was just one of the singers who hung out at the bar waiting for my turn in the rotation.  One of my friends was "dating" the DJ, at least off and on, and I became friendly with him as well.  As time went on, he asked me if I would be interested in filling in for him on nights he had a conflict or if he away on vacation.  Thus began my karaoke odyssey as a DJ.

I tried to learn as much as I could about being a successful DJ.  At first, I studied the technical aspects. With time, I developed my own do's and don'ts, especially with regard to how to handle the rotation and trying to make the singers sound as good as possible.

As important as the technical aspect of being a DJ is, the human element is especially crucial in karaoke.  A DJ wants to be as entertaining as possible, keep singers happy and maintain a good flow to the show. Singers have different needs as well.  Some are very outgoing, some shy and some drunk. I work in a bar, after all.

Another aspect about which I sometimes get teased or applauded is all the lovely young women who come to my shows, many of whom are the same ages as my children.  As much as I try to keep that in mind, there is no denying their charm. And as anyone in the bar business knows, it's always good to have women at the bar.  Just a fact of life. And before you think I am somehow obsessed with younger women, think again.  I work at night, often very late.  My karaoke demographic skews to the younger side.  It's just how it is in a late night business.  I get a lot of younger people at my shows.  People in my age demographic are often in bed by the time things really get going.  So there!

So, as I was learning my trade, I also watched how my DJ mentor handled the social scene.  He was younger than I but still older than many of the singers. Enter the weird part.

Allow me to backtrack a bit. People come in to sing and aren't always aware of the state of the rotation, i.e. how many people are singing, when they arrived, how many times they have already sung, etc.  I understand as well as anyone the "need" to sing and to get up to the microphone as soon as possible.  I try my best to balance all the factors to make sure everyone has a good time.

Nevertheless, some people will try to get their songs bumped up in the rotation. Some are better at it than others - by offering to buy me a drink or giving me a tip.  Some plead.  Some try to stare me down.  For me, the hardest tactic to resist is the flirt by a pretty young woman.  I admit it.  "Please, Sid!  Can I sing next?" Add pouty lips, beseeching eyes, and sometimes, I turn to mush.  Add alcohol and some of these women can get overly friendly.  Help!  I'm only human!

And this is where I really had to grapple with my role as a DJ. My mentor had one approach which I had to reject. He got overly friendly too, more than simply flirting in return.  Grabby, really.  Yes, he was younger and closer to their age, but I thought it was unprofessional.  Don't get me wrong.  I flirt too, but I really try hard not to cross the line. I try to keep in mind that these women are similar in age to my kids. I'm not perfect at it, but I do try to behave.

Still, as much as I try, I also learn how spectacular these women are. With time, something else happens too. As I see my singers week after week, they become my friends or at least part of my karaoke family. The more I get to know them, the less I think about age differences. They are adults, after all, fully capable of adult conversation and interaction. I stop seeing them as only pretty women and start seeing them as just who they are. And if I'm single, and they are single, well? Who wouldn't want to date them? "If only I was younger" is something I tell myself quite often. As much as the little devil on my shoulder tells me that they aren't my daughters, the little angel tries to keep me in check.  So, I had to make a professional decision. How was I going to handle this attention from beautiful young women?

I came up with the idea of karaoke angels.  They brighten my night and put a smile on my face. When I see one of my angels, I am happy. It's a different kind of love but just as rewarding. Thank you angels!  You know who you are. You are a big part of why I love karaoke. And if I start sounding like the weird, creepy old guy, slap me. And, as much as I love you, just don't expect that you will automatically get bumped up in the rotation  Sid out!





  

No comments:

Post a Comment